Tuesday, January 25, 2011

One of many garden visitors


This little blue tit is one of the many visitors to my garden.

Apart from birds, we get hedgehogs (my favorites) squirrels, foxes, neighboring cats, my brothers' calves (not so welcome, as they gallop through my flower borders) to name but a few.
Winter can seem bleak and empty at times but because I feed the birds there is always life and song in my garden. I love all the birds and could spend hours watching them. Nature really lifts my spirits and grounds me when I am feeling stressed.
This Joy is available to all of us wherever we may be, urban or rural, just slow down and look around and drink in God's beauty, be it wildlife, a smile on a child's face, a glimpse of sun or sky, soft rain on our skin, buds appearing in spring, birds foraging or even just the change of light before a heavy shower. Happiness isn't just in the fancy stuff, but freely available to those who choose her. It is always a choice. Sometimes we can be overwhelmed with worry and anxiety, but even so we can always choose to make a little effort for one of God's creatures. And that very definitely includes humans.
To do even a small something for someone or some creature not only helps them but makes us feel better as well. Feeding the birds 'feeds' my soul too. Being patient in a queue or giving a person a little time and appreciation or sharing an umbrella with a stranger in the rain, or whatever, costs us nothing but pays us spiritually and emotionally. I believe that looking for the beauty around us and where we can help others can help alleviate depression and reduce consumerism and surely we all want that.